Typography / Task 3 : Type Design and Communication

13.11.2023 - 17.12.2023 ( Week 7 - Week 12 )
Gunn Joey / 0366122
Typography / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media / Taylor's University
Task 3 : Type Design and Communication



JUMPLINK




LECTURES

All lectures were completed in Task 1 



INSTRUCTIONS

<
<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vcTAnYWvvOhoBxg3NByNCmPLWoi9CRH2/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>



Work Progress

1. Research

Figure 1.1 Type Anatomy

  • Bar : The horizontal stroke in letters. Also known as a Crossbar. These help to form the main structure of a lot of letters.
  • Open Counter : The partially open space within a character that is open on one end. 
  • Ear : A small stroke extending from the upper-right side of the bowl of a lowercase g. Can also appear in a curved lowercase r.
  • Teardrop Terminal : The appearance of dropped-ends on the end of some strokes. 
  • Ascender : An upward vertical stroke. Found on lowercase letters which extends above the typeface’s x-height.
  • Stem : The vertical, full-length stroke which appears in upright characters. These help to form the main structure of many letters.
  • Counter : The open or negative space in a fully closed area within a character. 
  • Loop : The enclosed/partially enclosed counter below the baseline of a double-story g.
  • Descender : A downward vertical stroke. 
  • Serif : A stroke/small decorative line added as embellishment to the form of a character.


2. Deconstruction

Figure 2 Deconstruction



3. Sketches

I searched examples for font designing using pens in Pinterest at first. Then, I sketched my ideas using 3 different pens. I preferred choosing pen#3 which is blue in colour because it looks simple and neat. After considering Mr.Vinod's feedback, I chose the first sketch of pen#1 as my preferred sketch. I then began sketching o l e d s n c h t i g , . ! # with my preferred sketch.

Figure 3.1 Sketches


Figure 3.2 Final sketch


4. Digitalisation

Mr.Vinod told me to pay attention at the punctuation. I referred to the examples for punctuation in Instagram post for Typography. I realised that my comma and hashtag were quite weird. 

Figure 4.1 First attempt

Mr.Vinod told me that there are no such design for comma in my first attempt. I should design my comma fatter and make it slant for the bottom part. 

Figure 4.2 Digitalisation after getting feedback

All of the alphabets and punctuation that I digitalised are using shapes to design. I adjusted the size of shapes to make them look really neat and same in size.

Figure 4.3 Digitalisation process

Figure 4.4 Digitalisation process using pathfinder

This is my final outcome of digitalisation for my preferred sketch.

Figure 4.5 Typeface outcome


5. Fontlab

I started importing all the fonts in Illustrator to Fontlab. Before importing, I adjusted the caps height, x-height and descender line.

Figure 5.1 Progress in Fontlab 1

Figure 5.2 Progress in Fontlab 2

The space between font to font is not the same at first. So, I adjusted the bearings in Metrics Tab both 50.

Figure 5.3 Side bearings adjustments


6. Poster

After importing all the fonts to Fontlab, I began designing A4 size poster in Illustrator.

    Figure 6.1 Progress for poster

I followed Mr.Vinod's suggestion, made the space between font name, my name and the 2023 wider to match with the poster.

Figure 6.2 Last attempt


7. Final Outcome

Download font here

Figure 7.1 Fontlab screengrab

Figure 7.2 Type Design and Communication 'Sharpen' - JPEG


Figure 7.3 Type Design and Communication 'Sharpen' - PDF

Figure 7.4 Poster - JPEG


Figure 7.5 Poster - PDF



7. Feedback

Week 13:
General feedback: Change the space between font name, my name and the 2023 wider to match with the poster. Make text bigger.
Specific feedback: Design more layout for the poster. Not only one.

Week 12:
General feedback: Create an A4 size poster. The poster can be black and white.
Specific feedback: Adjust the space between words in the poster.

Week11:
General feedback: Change the comma design. Refer to facebook group for punctuation post.
Specific feedback: Import the fonts to fontlab

Week10: General feedback: Move on to the rest of the alphabet digitalisation. Complete them by this week. Begin sketching o l e d s n c h t i g , . ! # with preferred sketch.
Specific feedback: Learn from others instead of just watching lecture videos.

Week9: General feedback: I was thinking to digitase pen#3 but the lecturer chose the first pen for me. Complete the digitalisation by watching the lecture video. The pen for sketching should be above3.0
Specific feedback: Write carefully. Practise more before you begin to write.

Week8: independent learning week


8. Reflection

Experiences:
This is the most interesting task in the entire module. I experienced choosing different pens such as brush pens, marker pens to start writing fonts that designed by myself. The process of digitalising the sketch is super fun and interesting too. I get to learn many ways to digitalise fonts. I gained more useful skills and knowledge while doing this task.

Observations:
I noticed that designing fonts need patience as I need to adjust every alphabet and punctuation many times to achieve the requirements. Moreover, we need to be very diligent to make sure we completed Mr.Vinod requirements every week on time.

Findings:
I found that we need to learn from the beginning and learn about steps to design a font to become a qualified designer. Many knowledge and skills that we learned in this module being used in the poster.



9. Further Readings

Figure 9: The Vignelli Canon


Semantics often centres around the study of meaning in design elements. It involves understanding how visual and structural choices communicate messages and information effectively to users. Vignelli emphasized clarity and coherence in design, where every element serves a purpose, contributing to the overall semantic richness of the visual language.

Syntactics refers to the study of relationships between design elements and their arrangement. Syntactics emphasized the importance of structure, grid systems, and visual syntax in creating a cohesive and organised design language. It involves the deliberate use of rules and structures to convey meaning and guide the viewer through a visually harmonious experience.

In Visual Power, Massimo Vignelli emphasized the use of bold, clear, and timeless visuals that possess a strong aesthetic appeal. The focus on visual power underscores the idea that a design should communicate effectively and leave a lasting impression, often achieved through the strategic use of colour, form, and iconic imagery.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography / Task 1 : Exercises

Advanced Typography / Task 1: Exercises

Illustration and Visual Narrative / Task 1: Vormator Challenge