Illustration and Visual Narrative / Task 2: Decisive Moment

08.11.2023 - 29.11.2023 (Week 7-Week 10)
Gunn Joey / 0366122 
Illustration and Visual Narrative / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
Taylor's University / Task 2



LECTURES

All lectures were completed in Task 1



INSTRUCTIONS




Lectures, Tutorials, Praticals

WEEK 7 - Transparency, Gradient and Noise

We learned how to create gradient and grain texture to create noise effect by practising three triangle. Then, we are required to put gradient and grain effect to the illustration which downloaded in Google Classroom.


Figure 1.1: Shapes
Figure 1.2: Shapes with gradient and grain effect

Figure 1.3: Illustration
Figure 1.4: Illustration with gradient and grain effect



Task 2Decisive Moment Poster & Animation

For this task, we are required to find a story of urban legend local or international. We must create a minimalist editorial illustration based on the urban legend that we have chosen using Adobe Illustrator. Before creating illustration, we should sketch our idea of the story's climax first. Clean lines, simple shapes, and minimalism are required in this task.

Bloody Mary is the urban legend that I have chosen.

Figure 1: Sketch, Rationale, Moodboard


2. Sketches

Figure 2: Sketches

This is my first sketch for Bloody Mary. I realised my sketch is not simple the same as minimalism. I should focus on clean lines and simple shapes. 


3. Digitalisation

Figure 3.1: Digitalisation using Adobe Illustrator

I digitalised my sketch into a simple illustration. I added gradient to make it looks more lively. Mr. Hafiz suggested me to add a lady who is looking at the mirror then Bloody Mary stuck in the mirror into the illustration. 


Final Outcome

Figure 3.2 : Final Digitalisation using Adobe Illustrator - JPEG

Figure 3.3 : Final Digitalisation using Adobe Illustrator - PDF

This final digitalisation is what I followed Mr. Hafiz's suggestion. The Bloody Mary appears behind of the lady in the mirror.


4. Animation Progress

Figure 4.1: First attempt animation

Mr. Hafiz suggested me to redo the animation again because he couldn't understand what I try to bring out. The Bloody Mary shouldn't appear outside, appear in the mirror only make sense.


Figure 4.2: Animation Frames

I designed the images that I expected my animation to look like. Then, I import them to Photoshop to create animation. There are 7 frames in total.


Final Animation

Figure 6: Final Animation

I redo the animation with my final digitalisation. The Bloody Mary appears in sudden. Then the blood came out.



FEEDBACK

Mr.Hafiz told me to change my digitalisation. He didn't get the meaning I try to bring out in the Illustrator. Mr.Hafiz suggested me to design a lady looking in the mirror then the Bloody Mary appears behind of the lady in the mirror. I then redo my digitalisation. Other than that, in the animation part, I consulted Mr.Hafiz's feedback, he suggested my to redo it also. At the last part of animation, I followed Mr.Hafiz's suggestion to create the blood dripping down.



REFLECTION

Experience
I enjoy doing this task as this task is really interesting. I get to create illustration of the chosen urban legend with simple shapes to make the outcome meets my expectation. I changed and redo my work few times after consulting Mr.Hafiz. I'm really grateful for his feedback.

Observations
Mr.Hafiz's feedback really helps a lot in this task. Following his instructions and requirements make my working progress become easier.

Findings
I found that this module is what I wish to do as my occupation in the future. 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography / Task 1 : Exercises

Advanced Typography / Task 1: Exercises

Illustration and Visual Narrative / Task 1: Vormator Challenge